The return of Dummies Man to Facebook and the Beginning of My Identity Crisis
The good news is that my efforts with Facebook customer service have paid off and the profile for Dummies Man has been reactivated.
The bad news (ok, maybe not bad, but not good, at least in my book) is that Dummies Man has a new name. His name? Ellen Gerstein. Search for Ellen Gerstein on FB and you’ll see two of me. One with my beautiful shining visage, the other with D-Man. OK, there are some other Ellen Gersteins, but they don’t count here.
Here’s how this played out. I wrote to FB and asked why “Dummies Man”, a character we own, is not permitted to maintain a profile. This is the note I got in return:
If you would like to use this profile again, just get back to us with your real name, and we will reactivate the account for you.
So, in an effort to save the profile, which our intern Joe lovingly created, I got back to them as me, Ellen Gerstein, and asked them to reactivate it. Then, I went into the rejuvenated account and tried to change the name. Dummies Man/Ellen Gerstein was a no go. As was Ellen “Dummies” Gerstein. And many other variations. Why? Because…
Before confirming your name change request, please read the following.
- Your Facebook profile must be attached to your real name.
- You must include your full name.
- Celebrity names, nicknames, or other fake names are not allowed and will not be approved.
- Obscenity, curses, and swear words are not allowed and will not be approved.
- ISn’t~ ThIs ❤ AnN0YiNg 2 ReAd? Non-standard capitalization and special characters are not allowed and will not be approved.
- Do not try to combine sentences into one word; Jane Lookatmysupercoolnewnickname Smith will not be approved.
- We review all name changes, so this may take a while.
This is getting really complicated. Any suggestions for a name that ISN’T necessarily mine that could be used for Dummies Man and not be in violation of FB rules??? And, again, Fake Steve Jobs can be on the site as Steve Jobs, and Dummies Man gets banned? Really!